Sunday 23 August 2009

Le Monsieur Watches... Mushishi. (Movie, 2008 Japan)

Friends are funny things, one moment they're all over you, and the next they're no where to be seen. Of course, I mean that in the friendly sense. I don't do the funky thing with my friends, what else would be left to say afterwards? No, my friends are the kind who forcefully, at friendship point lend me things they think I may have some palpable need of. One friend, whose name I won't reveal in case the FBI catch up with him, suggested to me that I HAVE to watch this movie, and forced the DVD of said movie into my hands, disappearing off into the woodlands never to be seen again until a few days later, and/or he's finished the DVD I politely suggested he may want to see, then blended into the foreground neatly.

So, now that I've watched it at last, in full, without my progeny screaming at me to press stop and put SpongeBob on instead, I can honestly say that his intentions were good, despite his ninja tendencies. (The best movie idea ever, Ninja vs FBI!) See, Mushishi is actually a damn good movie, despite the description putting it slightly into hackneyed Anime territory. And, it is based on an Anime and Manga series too, funnily enough. One of some rep, as well. Director, Katsuhiro Otomo, steps right up to it and delivers a tight, not too fantastical concept that remains grounded despite the obvious fantasy elements. This is the key to the whole success of the movie, as well. Fantasy movies can be too overwhelming, complicated and downright confusing, but Mushishi works on the level of average looking characters and beautiful visuals mixed with dialogue that has just the right level of intrigue and a plot that never loses us, somehow.

Yes, despite my initial misgivings, it won me over soon. Not being a watcher of Anime or a reader of Manga, I suppose I can't fully appreciate the subtle nuances of the genre that it's fans rapture to instantly. I don't consider cartoons and comics for children, I just have never actually got into them too much due to my ever increasing pile of interests merging into a whole days work. Cliches are won over this way, and should a ninja wonder from the darkness and force DVDs into your hand ever, don't give the misgiving stare of a victim, embrace his gift, as I did. You may get a surprise when you slip the discs into your device! Such ninjas of culture are a virtue in this ever more digitised world, and we should be thankful for their silent contribution to our collective existences. As to the plot, it doesn't matter too much, just get engaged by the visual splendour and the ever impending doom looming large over every moment, and you'll get that on the way.

Recommended.

Le Monsieur.



No comments: